Sunday, August 23, 2015

All Creatures Great and Small


All Creatures Great & Small

In the Book of Genesis chapter 1: 20 we read; “And God said, “Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the dome of the sky.” Later in verses 24-25 we read; “And God said, Let the earth bring forth living creatures of every kind, cattle and creeping things and wild animals of the earth of ever kind. And it was so. God made the wild animals of the earth of every kind, and the cattle of every kind, and everything that creeps upon the ground of every kind. And God saw that it was good.” I enjoy the wild animals that God has created and I have said more than once that if I hadn't studied for the ministry I would love to have studied to become a veterinarian. Just imagine, working with one of God's creatures Great or Small which was sick but could not really tell you where it hurts? They say it can be more difficult to become a veterinarian than a doctor of humans. Well, I went into ministry not animal sciences and God's creatures are probably the better off for it! However, I love having one of God's creatures for a pet. When I was young I had a black crow and I made a perch for him and set it amongst the lilac bushes in our yard. Then there was “skipper” a pigeon which I raised from a young bird. Skipper had his freedom and a special nesting box in our barn. While working in the garden you often felt a swoosh as Skipper landed on your shoulder just to say hie. My mom use to get after Skipper when he would pay her a visit in the kitchen. He would come to say hie, land on the counter walk over to the bread box and help himself to a slice of bread! When we left Oxford Skipper of course was left behind and to the best of my knowledge managed quite nicely.

Some people refer to them as “Vermin” but I always had a liking for pigeons. Two months ago while leaving church one Sunday morning Jill and one of her friends came across an injured pigeon on the church lawn. He wasn't able to fly nor was he able to defend himself. Well, guess what? The bird that God created to fly in the sky ended up in a carboard box in our kitchen. Jill named him “Buddy.” Although he couldn't fly “Buddy” could eat and he especially enjoyed crumbs of bread dampened with a little milk and sprinkled with just a few grains of sugar! I went to work and did some research on my computer. I was pretty certain that I discovered Buddy's problem. He had all the symptoms; drooping wing, a paralyzed leg and a loss of balance. The article said it could be treated with a drug called Baytril. Well you guessed it, Buddy and I made a trip to the Vet! They told me it was the first pigeon they ever treated but Buddy received all the care they could give him even down to a bath! I was sent home with a two week supply of baytril one doseage each day. Buddy had his ups and downs. There was one point when I discovered him on his back in his pen both feet in the air. I thought he was dead and carefully picked him up only to discover that Buddy was very much alive. Back to his box in the house he went and back to another week of Baytril!

Buddy's health eventually improved to the point where he was able to fly. He disappeared for a whole day only to return the following day for some bread, milk & just a smidge of sugar! Three days ago he left again and has not returned. I like to think that he has rejoined his friends and he is doing what God created him to do and that is “flying above the earth across the dome of the sky.” (Genesis 1:20). Always remember to show a little compassion for God's creatures both Great and Small.

Your Pastor & Friend

John

No comments:

Post a Comment