Saturday, January 18, 2014

Gone Fishing!



The Blessing of The Fishing Fleet



   While ministering in the Bahamas I was asked to conduct, "The Blessing of the Fishing Fleet." This is a sporting event where people come from great distances in order to compete. I was up early, down at the docks where 40 boats plus were ready to race to their favorite spots. No one was allowed to leave port until a prayer was offered. The gentleman in charge of the event handed me a two way radio that was linked to all the boats. Following is what I shared with them.


The Blessing of the Fleet as you are probably well aware is an old and revered tradition. It has been passed down from generation to generation. It is as ancient as biblical times.
This centuries old rite calls on divine providence to safe guard ships and crews from the danger of the seas. It was meant to ensure that the fishermen would return to port and have a bountiful catch. Let’s ask God’s blessing on your fishing during the days ahead. Let’s pray.

   Dear Lord who art the creator of earth, sea and sky and all that dwell therein we give thanks for the day before us. We ask for your blessing upon the fishing fleet; a blessing of calm waters, blue skies, fair winds, comradeship, a good catch but most important of all a safe return to port. Lord, who chose fishermen for his disciples bless the men and women of the fishing fleet today. In Jesus name we pray; Amen.    
I’m sure that most of you have heard of the serenity prayer!
God, grant me the
SERENITY
to accept the things
I cannot change

COURAGE
to change the
things I can

and
WISDOM
to know the difference
Here is, "The Serenity Prayer for Fishermen"


God, grant me the Serenity
To accept the size of the fish I catch;
The courage not to fib about it,
And the wisdom to know
That no one would believe me anyway.

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment